Monday, March 31, 2014

Makeovers that don't go as expected or quite frankly, "Why do some Makeup Artists fail?"


Okay so this snafu of sorts totally happened the other day and I eliminated it from my event coverage because, well, it clearly deserved it's own post. 
And to be fair, I fearlessly sat for a makeover at the hands of the same makeup artist (of a renown brand that I don't dare mention) and you know what? My look was equally disastrous!
I'm not talking Sales Associate or Beauty Advisor here, this is a traveling, card-carrying M.A.K.E.U.P. - A.R.T.I.S.T. whose time you BOOK in advance and/or compensate. The appointment setter's exact words to me were, "I'm putting you with the best!"



 
Now some may argue that 2 fails does not denote a complete lack of talent and I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly. I've been a beauty advisor before, so I know certain things cannot be helped and poor product or range limitations can play a part. But for argument sakes, let's examine some reasons that a makeover can go left since this happens more often than not. There is a good reason that brides require a trial run prior to the actual wedding date, while runway/print models don't request the same.

#1. The MUA wants to showcase creativity
You say, "I'd love a clean, fresh, look that I can take to the workplace or school."
They think, "the winged liner look is IN this season and we must use no less than 3 shadows to cinch the look!" 
 This point is analogous to the theory of what happens when your trying out a new hairdresser. They think shorter locks will be more flattering to your face and that they are doing you a huge favor by chopping off a few inches. 
#2. The MUA doesn't have a wide range of experience
Chances are that if you have hooded eyes or barely any lid space at all, you'll eventually mastered the art of getting around that issue. It's as simple as the saying goes, "practice makes perfect." So I don't think it's that bit of a reach, to state that even the most seasoned artist will trip here and there when new challenges are presented without advance notice. 

#3. MUA are typically sold on "certain brands" and deviations are frowned upon.
More often than not if you sit for a makeover with a freelance MUA, him or her will reach for MAC to serve your base or foundation. And understandably so, because MAC is superior to other brands in their easily understood categorizations of tones/shades, product offering and affordability (pro discount). Their concealer palettes are incomparable, due to numerous shade options, serving as a saving grace to shoots with large casts but anyhow, I digress...
 I'm allergic to the SPF in MAC so I always throw the curve ball to artists by whipping out my own foundation of choice. This is where things begin to go left.

Some foundations are best applied with a stippling brush, buffing tool, beauty blender, standard synthetic brush, ect. So when you introduce your own product of choice, you are still tinkering with your outcome in this makeover by changing the ground rules. It's one thing to suggest 1 product, but when you start passing along everything in your kit, you are close to insulting to the MA and likely him or her will not accept your offers. Artists feel very strongly about their work & tools.  


Ultimately, I've learned to not expect amazing transformations when sitting with a MUA for the 1st time. Finding a great one for you is akin to finding a hairdresser that understands your hair needs the best. We may not know who's responsible for coordinating the wardrobe of JLO, Kim K, Nicki Minaj or Rhianna but finding out who does their MU is easy! They literally don't board a plane with out them, it's serious business :-)  

No comments: